Friday, August 10, 2012

Mother of Pearl
































I've been following Maia Norman's label Mother of Pearl for a while now, and I love her concept of taking the oppositional forces of fashion and technical sportswear and combining them into a super luxury collection. It's quirky and fun but not überdramatic, and the fact that each season she works together with a different artist makes it even more special and exciting. Beeing Damien Hirst's wife, obviously she lives and breathes art, so this doesn't come as a surprise, but the way the collections turn out under these collaborations, with their unusal prints, intricate cuts and luxurious fabrics, is all the more beautiful. It's that I don't care, I'll do what I like attitude that I love, and that's how the collections turn out in the end. For her Fall 2012 collection she collaborated with New York based artist Fred Tomaselli on a series of prints and for Resort 2013, Gary Hume's floral canvases and pola bears were translated onto fabrics. Norman says, that in future she'll be focusing on less established artists. Well, I am quite certain looking forward to this!



No comments:

Post a Comment